Saturday, June 23, 2012

Dowd Mountain - Bike Ride

While at Flaming Gorge, I was able to check off a couple mountain bike rides in the book.  There are actually four rides in the book out this way, so I guess I will have to come back and check off the other two sometime soon.  While the rides are in the book, I wouldn't say Flaming Gorge is known for its mountain biking.  Boating is obviously the big attraction.  And the bike trails clearly resemble their second place priority.  The singletrack portion of the Dowd Mountain trail was pretty faint and didn't look like anyone had riden the trail in years.  The cheetgrass and sage bushes were gladly reclaiming their territory. 
There seemed to be some newly developed double track trails in the area as well that were NOT on the map in the book.  I suppose this can happen when you use a book that you've had for 14 years!  Anyway, I survived the singletrack and jumped on the graded road to the top for a great overlook viewpoint of the twisting apendages of the reservoir.  It took me about an hour to get to the overlook.
The ride back down on the otherside of the loop was about the same - faint singletrack and non-existant doubletrack back to the car. Not a soul out on the trail the entire ride.

Total Distance:  10 miles
Total Elevation:  1,140 feet
Total Time:  1:50



No comments:

Post a Comment